About the job
We are a global offshore geoscience and geotechnical engineering consultancy specialising in marine geophysics and geotechnics, ground modelling, foundation engineering, pipelines, trenching and numerical analyses. We work primarily in the offshore renewable energy and sporadically in the oil and gas industry for clients who design, install, and operate offshore, nearshore, and onshore facilities.
Our UK team has a strong pipeline of projects and anticipates accelerating growth with the development of wind farms in the North Sea, the Baltic Sea, Mediterranean, United States and on the Asian continent.
We are looking for experienced geotechnical engineers and engineering geologists to join our team in Brussels or Newcastle Upon Tyne in mid-to-senior level roles. The successful applicant will work along-side existing offshore geoscience and engineering staff to deliver consultancy services for offshore energy projects.
Services will include ground characterisation projects, submarine cable engineering, ground modelling, investigation design and supervision, foundation design and installation, supervision, and various other consultancy activities.
You will be working either independently, supervised by a chartered engineer or geologist, as part of a team or managing teams of geotechnical engineers, engineering geologists, geophysicists, and GIS specialists.
You will be given early exposure to client contacts and the freedom to ‘think outside the box’ and, where required, push the boundaries of knowledge in the industry.
You will work with dynamic and entrepreneurial colleagues spread across a range of disciplines and will be given the opportunity to contribute to research and development initiatives, participating in international conferences and prepare technical papers.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have a degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering Geology (preferably a master’s degree) and approximately 3+ years post study industry experience in the application of geotechnical design methods or engineering geology models in support of large infrastructure projects (PhD degree experience can be counted towards the required target).
Direct experience in ground modelling, investigation, or design of wind farms (foundations and cables) is beneficial, although, not essential in all cases. Installation, operations and maintenance experience, specifically for offshore structures is also beneficial.
Candidates are expected to have a passion for the offshore industry and a hunger for knowledge and sharing experiences with others.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a record of producing high-quality outputs and work practices, we will then help you develop new ways of reporting and analysis data that are at the forefront of our industry
- Demonstrate a willingness to continue learning and developing new technical knowledge and business acumen
- Have a good level of technical experience and ability in your area
- Show effective management of his/her own work in terms of quality, timescales, utilisation and invoicing
- Hold good communication skills, initiative and teamwork
- Communicate well and represent Cathie at client meetings, workshops, presentations and publications
- Lead and/or contribute to project management activities, including budgets, resources, client liaison, delivery, and QA
- Always be respectful of fellow colleagues and managers, with a proactive attitude, and strong work ethic
- Knowledge of ground investigation methodology and interpretation
- Strong understanding of fundamental principles of soil and rock mechanics
- Demonstrable design experience and working knowledge of applicable regulations, codes of practice and standards (for the geotechnical position)
- Experience in writing Ground Investigation Reports (GIR) and Geotechnical Design Reports (GDR)
- Experience in ground investigation campaigns (onshore or offshore) and data interpretation, including ground modelling
- Experience in the use of industry-standard numerical modelling software such as FLAC, or PLAXIS for modelling soil-structure interaction problems (for the geotechnical position)
- Experience in management of technical deliverables
- Ability to write technical/calculation reports in a concise, precise and logical format
- Strong attention to detail
- Good interdisciplinary communication skills
- Ability to think independently and solve problems; applying innovative solutions where required
- Ability to manage own workload and prioritise tasks effectively
- Passion for geological, geotechnical / civil engineering and the renewable energy sector
Nice to haves:
- Chartered status or demonstrable progress on the path to Chartership
- Offshore client representative experience or site investigation experience if you come from a contractor’s background, current offshore working certificates
- Understanding of advanced laboratory tests specification (e.g. Cyclic TX/Cyclic DSS, ring shear, resonant column tests)
- Expert user of Plaxis, FLAC3D, Abaqus, PFEM, UDEC
- Knowledge of AGS formats and geotechnical reporting software
- Experience using Python, Tableau, Power BI
- Experience in the energy and infrastructure sectors
What we offer:
- The opportunity to work for a leading engineering consultancy with significant reputation in offshore engineering
- Chartership support
- A modern and friendly office environment
- Flexible working arrangements
- Opportunities for internal and external training
- Mentorship by reputable lead engineers
- Competitive salary
- Attractive company pension scheme
- Denplan cover for employee and family; including hygienist visits
- Private healthcare cover for employee and family through AXA health
- Up to 40% discount on gym memberships if healthcare scheme is used via ‘Hussle’
- 24/7 virtual GP appointments if company healthcare scheme is taken on, available at short notice via ‘GP Anywhere’
- Bike to work scheme offering up to 40% discount
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Provision of funds to travel regularly to main office where internal social committee hosts regular events
- Techscheme; interest free loans for tech deducted from monthly salary
- Discounted season ticket loans for public transport
If you think you’re the right fit for Cathie, please apply below specifying your preferred location.