About the job
We’re a global offshore geoscience and geotechnical engineering consultancy specialising in marine geophysics and geotechnics, foundation engineering, pipelines, trenching and numerical analyses. We work primarily in the offshore renewable energy and oil and gas industry for clients who design, install and operate offshore, nearshore and onshore facilities.
The industry is booming, and as a result, we’re looking for experienced geophysicists to join our team in Newcastle in mid-to-senior level roles. The successful applicants will work along-side existing offshore geoscience and engineering staff to deliver consultancy services for offshore energy projects.
Typical tasks will involve planning, specification ad management of offshore survey campaigns, validation of contractor deliverables, geophysical interpretation of seabed and sub-seabed data, integration of geophysical, geological and geotechnical data in the creation and curation of ground models; report writing, research and implementation of new and standard methods.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidates will have at least a degree in geology or geophysics and experience in the application of geophysical methods in support of offshore infrastructure projects particularly wind farm (foundations and cables) design, installation, operations and maintenance. Offshore experience is welcomed but office-based processing, analysis, interpretation, reporting and delivery experience is required.
Successful candidates will:
- Produce high-quality products, outputs and work practices;
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and develop new technical knowledge and business acumen;
- Demonstrate an acceptable level of technical experience and ability;
- Show effective management of his/her own work in terms of quality, timescales, utilisation and invoicing;
- Hold good communication skills, initiative and team work;
- Represent Cathie at client meetings, workshops, presentations and publications
- Lead and/or contribute to project management activities, including budgets, resources, client liaison, delivery, and QA; and
- Demonstrate respect for fellow colleagues and managers, good work attitude and strong work ethic.
- Knowledge of typical and innovative seabed survey methods;
- Knowledge of typical and innovative sub-seabed survey methods with a focus on the upper 100m below sea-bed;
- Expert knowledge of geophysical workstation workflows and practice for geophysical and geotechnical data integration;
- Working knowledge of Quaternary Geology and Geotechnical engineering;
- Good Microsoft Excel skills;
- Ability to write technical reports in a concise, precise and logical format;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Good project and general management skills;
- Good interdisciplinary communication skills;
- Ability to think independently and solve problems with innovative solutions;
- Ability to manage own workload and prioritise tasks; and
- Passion for geoscience, engineering and the renewable energy sector.
Nice to haves:
- Chartered status or demonstrable progress on the path to Chartership;
- Offshore survey experience, current offshore working certificates;
- Experience of nearshore, intertidal and landfall survey methods;
- Experience using IHS Kingdom, Petrel, OpendTect, DUG workstation software;
- Experience using Coda, Sonarwiz, Oasis Montaj, ArcGIS, QGIS;
- Experience using Python, Tableau, Power BI; and
- Knowledge of local and international standards pertaining to geophysical survey.
What we offer here at Cathie:
- To work for a leading engineering consultancy with significant reputation in offshore engineering
- Chartership support
- A modern and friendly office environment in Newcastle City Centre
- Flexible working arrangements
- Opportunities for internally provided and external training
- Mentorship by reputable lead engineers
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours
- Company pension
- Private healthcare
- Dental benefits
- Bike to work scheme and more!
Do you think you have what it takes to join the team? Apply below!