About the job
We are a global offshore geoscience and geotechnical engineering consultancy specialising in marine geophysics and geotechnics, ground modelling, foundation engineering, pipelines, trenching and numerical analyses. We work primarily in the offshore renewable energy and sporadically in the oil and gas industry for clients who design, install, and operate offshore, nearshore, and onshore infrastructure.
Our UK team has a strong pipeline of projects and anticipates accelerating growth with the development of wind farms in the North Sea, the Baltic Sea, Mediterranean, United States and on the Asian continent.
We are looking for graduates, junior geotechnical engineers and engineering geologists to join our team in Newcastle or throughout the UK in junior level roles. We’re also looking for candidates to join our team across Europe, and the USA. The successful applicant will work along-side existing offshore geoscience and engineering staff to deliver consultancy services for offshore energy projects.
Those services will include ground characterisation projects, submarine cable engineering, ground modelling, investigation design and supervision, foundation design and installation, supervision, and other various consultancy activities. You will be supervised by a chartered engineer or geologist, or as part of a team or managing teams of geotechnical engineers, engineering geologists, geophysicists, and GIS specialists.
You will be given early exposure to a variety of project work and the freedom to ‘think outside the box’ and, where required, push the boundaries of knowledge in the industry.
You will work with and learn from very experienced, dynamic and entrepreneurial colleagues spread across a range of disciplines.
You will be given the opportunity to contribute to research and development initiatives, participating in international conferences and prepare technical papers.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have a degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering Geology (preferably a master’s degree) and a passion for learning geotechnical design methods and understanding engineering geology models.
Interest in ground modelling, investigation, or design of wind farms (foundations and cables) will be essential in all cases. Installation, operations and maintenance experience, especially for offshore structures is also beneficial.
Our candidates are expected to have a passion for the offshore industry and a strong willingness for asking questions and sharing experiences with others.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a good academic background in your relevant discipline;
- Demonstrate a willingness to continue learning and develop new technical knowledge;
- Have a good level of technical ability in your area;
- Show effective management of his/her own work in terms of quality, timescales, utilisation and invoicing;
- Hold good communication skills, initiative and teamwork;
- Communicate well with colleagues and clients;
- Lead and/or contribute to project management activities, including budgets, resources, client liaison, delivery, and QA; and
- Always respectful of fellow colleagues and managers, with a proactive attitude, and strong work ethic.
- Good academic background from a reputable university;
- Strong understanding of the fundamental principles of soil and rock mechanics;
- Experience in writing essays and reports to a good technical level;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work.
- Good interdisciplinary communication skills;
- Ability to think independently and solve problems, applying innovative solutions where required;
- Ability to manage own workload and prioritise tasks; and
- Passion for geological, geotechnical / civil engineering and the renewable energy sector.
Nice to haves:
- Fellow of the Geolsoc or ICE member;
- Offshore experience or site investigation experience;
- Understanding of laboratory tests and ground modelling at large scale;
- User of Plaxis, FLAC3D, Abaqus, PFEM, UDEC;
- Knowledge of AGS formats and geotechnical reporting software
- Experience using Python, Tableau, Power BI; and
- Experience in the energy and infrastructure sectors.
What we offer:
- To work for a leading engineering consultancy with significant reputation in offshore engineering;
- Chartership support;
- A modern and friendly office environment;
- Flexible working arrangements;
- Opportunities for internally provided and external training;
- Mentorship by reputable lead engineers;
- Competitive salary;
- Flexible working hours and locations (mixed work patters or remote working);
- Company pension scheme.
- Dentist cover for employee and family; including hygienist visits
- Private healthcare cover for employee and family through AXA health
- Up to 40% discount on gym memberships if healthcare scheme is used via ‘Hussle’
- 24/7 virtual GP appointments if company healthcare scheme is taken on, available at short notice via ‘GP Anywhere’
- Bike to work scheme offering up to 40% discount
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Provision of funds to travel regularly to main office where internal social committee hosts regular events
- Techscheme; interest free loans for tech deducted from monthly salary
- Discounted season ticket loans for public transport